This growing list of resources includes websites, reports, and articles that may be use resources for those seeking to more completely understand Islam and Muslim cultures.
- The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics, and Society: The 2012 report on a Pew global survey of Muslim attitudes toward political and social issues, such as the place of sharia law.
- euro-islam.info: An active network of researchers and scholars who conduct comparative research on Islam and Muslims in the West and disseminate key information to politicians, media, and the public.
Lectures & Articles
- “Enhancing Religious Literacy” (PDF), Ali Asani, The Harvard Sampler, 2011.
- “Islam: A Primer – A Conversation with Roy Mottahedeh and Jay Tolson,” Ethics and Public Policy Center, September 8, 2002.
- “Overcoming Religious Literacy: A Cultural Studies Approach,” Diane Moore, Word History Connected, 2008.
- “Voices from the Moderate Muslim Majority,” Ali Asani and Mona Eltahawy, Forum Network, March 15, 2007.
- “Transnationalism, Only Local: European Muslims and Political Community,” Justin Gest, Islam in the West Seminar Series, October 19, 2010.
Video - More videos are available under Multimedia。
- “Arabic Islamic Calligraphy in the Chinese Tradition,” Alwaleed Islamic Studies Program, April 25, 2012.
- “From Qawwali to Sufi Rock: Contemporary Expressions of Muslim Devotional Literature,” Ali Asani, The Hindi-Urdu Flagship Program, University of Texas at Austin, February 11, 2011.
- “Insight with Leila Ahmed: A Quiet Revolution,” Frontline Club London, May 25, 2011.
- “Islam in the Media: Challenges of Covering Islam in the U.S.” Ali Asani, Islamopedia Online, May 16, 2011.
- “Islam in the West,” Jocelyne Cesari, Conversations with History, University of California at Berkeley, December 4, 2008.
- Modern Islam and the West: Faculty Insight with Jocelyne Cesari,” Harvard Extension School, January 3, 2011.
- “Water as Substance and Symbol in Islam,” Ali Asani, Chautauqua Institute, July 20, 2012.
- Also see the Harvard Islamic Vimeo site, plus Vimeo pages for the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, the Committee on African Studies, and the Harvard South Asia Initiative.
Reports & Analysis
Cambridge University Report: “Narratives of Conversion to Islam in Britain: Female Perspectives”
Through interviews with nearly 50 British women of diverse backgrounds who have converted to Islam, this study covers the joys and challenges of female converts in contemporary UK. The study addresses many issues converts encounter, such as dress etiquette, racial constructions, marriage, divorce, sexuality, and the role converts can play as bridges between heritage Muslims and non-Muslims in society. Read the full report.
Gallup Center for Muslim Studies
The Gallup Center for Muslim Studies is part of the Gallup Organization’s global research initiative and provides nonpartisan and in-depth analysis of the perspectives and opinions of more than one billion Muslims worldwide.
- The Abu Dhabi Gallup Forum: Key Findings on Muslim-West Relations
- Islam and Democracy
- Islamophobia: Understanding Anti-Muslim Sentiment in the West
- Muslim Americans: A National Portrait
- Muslim Americans: Faith, Freedom, and The Future
- Religious Perceptions in America
Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life
The Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life promotes a deeper understanding of issues at the intersection of religion and public affairs by conducting surveys, demographic analyses and other social science research on important aspects of religion and public life in the U.S. and around the world.
- The World’s Muslims: Unity and Diversity
- Muslim Americans: No Signs of Growth in Alienation or Support for Extremism
- Resources on the Future of the Global Muslim Population
- Resources on Islam and Christianity in Sub-Saharan Africa
Film & Media
- Cities of Light: The Rise and Fall of Islamic Spain (Unity Productions Foundation, 2007)
- Fordson: Faith, Fasting, Football (North Shore Films, 2011)
- Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World (Unity Productions Foundation, 2012)
- The Light in Her Eyes (Clockshop, 2012)
- Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet (Unity Productions Foundation, 2011)
- Prince Among Slaves (Unity Productions Foundation, 2008)
- Veiled Voices (Typecast Films, 2009)